Sara Peterson has over ten years of experience advising clients on environmental regulatory compliance issues and environmental aspects of transactions. She began her career with Dorsey & Whitney’s environmental and regulatory practice group in 2000 and was elected a partner in 2007. She was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine in 2008 and 2009.
In 2010, to complement her legal practice, Sara became a part-time adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota Law School, creating the curriculum for and teaching their new Environmental Capstone Course in collaboration with Professor Alexandra Klass. Starting in January 2011, she also began teaching in the law school’s recently-established Sustainability Law Clinic.
In April 2011, Sara founded Parkway Law LLC, an independent woman-owned environmental law firm. She represents and counsels clients dealing with issues such as:
- environmental aspects of corporate, real estate and commercial transactions
- environmental compliance and permitting
- environmental enforcement matters
- legacy environmental liabilities, and
- sustainability and environmental reporting matters.
Sara’s environmental expertise covers a wide range of substantive issues. She has previously assisted clients on matters related to:
- cleanup and redevelopment of contaminated property
- chemical regulation
- sustainability issues
- hazardous and solid waste
- hazardous substance release reporting
- wastewater discharge
- stormwater permitting and compliance
- wetlands permits
- environmental review
- environmental insurance,
- occupational safety and health, and
- government contracts and related regulatory compliance requirements.
- Counsel public company client on environmental risks of acquiring manufacturing facility with known solvent contamination migrating off-site. Oversee environmental due diligence, negotiate environmental agreements and insurance policy to mitigate risks.
- Represent developer in negotiations with U.S. Army, General Services Administration, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regarding acquisition, remediation and redevelopment of 600-acre parcel of contaminated property.
- Negotiate sustainability requirements in supply agreements for packaging supply company.
- Represent company acquiring bankrupt ethanol facility located on federal superfund site; negotiate environmental aspects of purchase agreement and environmental indemnity.
- Represent metal finishing client in responding to notices of violation issued by federal, state and local regulators for alleged hazardous waste management and wastewater discharge non-compliance, negotiate settlement agreement resolving same.
- Advise client on contractual and regulatory compliance-related issues in acquisition of privatized wastewater treatment facility on U.S. military base.
- Advise client on regulatory and ethical compliance requirements under federal construction contract and respond to proposed subcontractor’s complaint against client under the contract.